CERTIFIED PEER SPECIALIST TRAINING FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE DEAF AND
AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE USERS
The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (OMHSAS) is recruiting qualified individuals who are deaf, use ASL, are seeking employment and want to take Certified Peer Specialist (CPS) training to learn how to use their personal experience in mental health recovery to help other individuals who are deaf and have mental health needs.
OMHSAS is offering this training opportunity to individuals from other states who are deaf and ASL users and meet their state/territory training requirements to become a CPS. Priority will be given to Pennsylvania residents.
Certified Peer Specialists:
- Are trained to offer support and assistance in helping others in their mental health recovery
- inspire hope and share their mental health recover story to help others
- Promote empowerment, self-determination, understanding, coping skills and resiliency
Training dates and location:
- The 75 hour (10-day) training is scheduled for December 4-15, 2017. The training will be held at:
440 American Ave
King of Prussia, PA 19406
CPS training/employment guidelines for Pennsylvania residents:
- Deaf and ASL user
- 18 years of age or older
- Received or is receiving mental health services for serious mental illness
- Have a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma
- From 2015 through 2017:
– maintained at least 12 months of successful work or volunteer experience, or
– earned at least 24 credit hours from a college or post-secondary educational institution
- Individuals must be seeking employment and willing to work upon completion of CPS training
Training fee options for Pennsylvania residents:
- If eligible, OVR may pay for your training and provide a paid internship. Contact OVR by October 15, 2017.
- If an individual is not eligible for OVR services they will be responsible for the cost of the training and associated costs.
Out of state applicants please contact PJ Simonson for information regarding training fees.
To complete an online training application: email PJ Simonson at PJ.Simonson@riinternational.com and ask for an application for the CPS Training for deaf candidates. The forms will be emailed to you to complete online. Once finished, return the application to PJ. (Deadline for applying is November 13, 2017)
Questions about the Training Contact: PJ Simonson | RI Consulting | PJ.Simonson@riinternational.com | Phone: 602.636.4563
Questions about OVR Services Contact: Randy Loss | Office of Vocational Rehabilitation | firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 717.787.5136
Source: Word document (.docx) as of 8/8/2017.